Thursday, March 17, 2011

Orgins - The Irish In Me

This Saint Patrick’s Day my thoughts are on my families’ blood lines - where does the Irish come from? For me and my kids it comes from my paternal great great great grandmother whose grandmothers’ family came from Ireland in the early 18th century, and, my grandmother whose grandfather came to Canada from County Tyrone around 1848 (she also provided the French blood line.)

For my grandkids they get 50% of their Irish blood from the Dad who was pure Irish on both his paternal and maternal sides. While we don’t know when his father’s family came to America; his mother’s families came to Baltimore in 1891 and in 1897 from County Mayo.

So the blood lines are:

For my brother, sister and I:
Paternal: Swiss, Welsh, Irish, English, French, and Scottish
Maternal: American Indian-Gabrielino, Spanish, and Mexican Indian

For my kids:
Paternal: Swiss, Welsh, Irish, English, French, Scottish, American Indian-Gabrielino, Spanish, and Mexican Indian
Maternal: Filipino-Tagalog, Filipino-Ilocano, and Chinese

For my grandkids:

Paternal: Irish
Maternal: Swiss, Welsh, Irish, English, French, Scottish, American Indian-Gabrielino, Spanish, Mexican Indian, Filipino-Tagalog, Filipino-Ilocano, and Chinese

And when did all these lines come to the Americas? Well you can see the Irish, what about the rest?

Swiss - 1737 to Philadelphia
Welsh - 1724 to Philadelphia and early 18th century to the Carolina’s
English - around 1835 to Canada and early 18th century to Virginia
French - unknown to Canada
Scottish - unknown probably early 18th century
Spanish - unknown probably early 17th century to California and as early as 16th century to Mexico
American Indian-Gabrielino - here first before everybody else!
Mexican Indian - 1885 to California, one branch may have been as early as 17th century to California
Filipino - 1973 to California

What an interesting mix my family is - American as apple pie!

No comments: